Google Chennai Express and you will find pathetic review headlines like the one pasted above for the film. If Box Office is to be believed all these reviews have gone for a toss. The film is set to breach 200 crores and is almost certain to beat 3 idiots for the record. Just goes on to show all that hype we create around only good movies irrespective of the stars working is just hype, nothing else. Anyways, here are five reasons we thought Chennai Express is houseful despite a pathetic storyline and script.
1. Shahrukh Khan and Deepika Padukone: You might bomb me here saying the last two films of SRK has bombed big time so I am wrong in putting this as my first point. Wait, let me bring forth my thought. I mean how many times have you seen Shahrukh Khan doing a comedy with someone like Deepika Padukone and failing. Does anyone think that Om Shanti Om had a plot. The film though still was massively successful, wasn’t it. Same reason.
2. An audience that is masses: So you thought someone reads the reviews and then watches films. You are right but you are absolutely wrong with the numbers of such folks. They can be counted on your fingers and on most occassions even they do not agree to reviews unless they see themselves. Plus movies like this do a world of good outside metros, especially in Hindi speaking states and this one of course even in Tamil Nadu. Go and see the kind of whistles Lungi song would have got in the hinterlands of UP as well as in Chennai.
3. The entertainment quotient: For the majority of the audiences, filmmaking doesn’t matter the most as long as it entertains them for the time being. Chennai Express may not have the great content in terms of a script but it does have those elements to entertain and that not many can debate. One of our authors who to us is the most prudent film person also liked the fact that you could keep brain outside and watch this flick. Frankly, in a daily life that is too bugged with serious issues the maximum that is needed is a good time-pass two and a half hours. He says Chennai Express comes well on that point.
4. Marketing: How can we forget marketing in today’s filmmaking business. Especially in an SRK film who personally if you take my opinion knows the best ways to use pr and media coverage in his advantage. The way he toured promoting the flick even at time when he was unless spoke volumes about the kind of extent the filmmakers where going to create an impact. The film had to do well after this, the only surprise was the doing as good as it has done till now.
5. Let’s not forget the fans: These one brought together a huge chunk of fans considering at stake where three big stars, SRK, DP and not to forget the blockbuster as I call him, Rohit Shetty. The fan power spoke of itself when no one spoke of them and showed the reviewers their real value. SRK’s fans again re-instated him at the top and he would be definitely cherishing this after a couple of duds in the last couple of years.
Let’s cast no doubt over the fact that Rohit Shetty’s films are meant for fun and nothing else. It was upto the audiences to make up their mind and watch the film which they did in huge numbers. We have the option to keep our intellectual eyeglasses on or simply go as someone with whistling skills; good and bad films come later.