After SRK promised a super good opening ceremony for IPL 6, I actually left office early to catch up, all though in disappointment as it was probably the least entertaining till date. Four reasons below.
- We just don’t want foreign stars for the sake of it. If they come, they better perform. Only God knows why Pitbull came to perform at the opening ceremony. He neither sang, nor lip-synched for the entire duration of his performance. He probably justified SRK’s allegation in which he said “Itna paisa main itna ichhh milega”. And yes if it was watching Pitbull’s pelvic movements, I would have rather preferred watching JLo’s.
- Why on earth do we want Katrina Kaif and Deepika Padukone to do such unenthusiastic acts in an opening ceremony? I guess the organizers would do better watching a few episodes of India’s Got Talent and get some really good enthusiastic bunch of performers from there rather than having such gigs by these ladies who look underprepared on stage and do anything for the sake of it.
- Yeah right, did I see correct? I saw Rajeev Shukla (IPL Commissioner and a Congress representative) sitting with Mamata Banerjee (Trinamool Congress) and talking as if all’s well between the two organizations. Cricket seriously makes for strange bedfellows. This on a day a young student leader died (allegedly manhandled and killed) in the hands of Kolkata Police. I can imagine what Mr. Shukla would have said on this any other day except of the opening ceremony in Kolkata.
- Now tell me what this was, a cricketing tournaments opening ceremony or an awards show. No really, where did we see cricket. Can’t we have a scenario where-in we can have an hours opening ceremony studded by some real good performances and then a cricket match to boot. The first match of the tournament on the big day with so many players around. Now, that is what good innovative stuff is. Oops, did I forget we have lost Mr. Lalit Modi in the entire cut-throat BCCI competition.
Overall I am not the only person who did not like the Opening Ceremony. News coming in states even the pioneer Lalit Modi did not like it. At least I am in August company.
- No injustice done to Lalit Modi in inquiry: BCCI (cricketcommentary.wordpress.com)
- IPL Opening Ceremony Pictures 02 April 2013 (icricketbuzz.com)
- IPL – the league of controversies (vancouverdesi.com)